Skip to content

Fire started after combustible materials left on stove in Chilliwack

Fire activated single sprinkler head in kitchen, extinguishing fire says official
web1_221026-cpl-reece-house-fire_1
Chilliwack Fire Department. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress file)

A fire in a kitchen started after combustible materials were left on a stove top element, Chilliwack Fire Department officials are saying.

Fire crews were called to the fire on the third floor of a six-storey apartment building in the 45000-block of Yale Road around 4:40 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 14.

When they arrived, firefighters discovered the building’s fire alarm had been triggered because of the smoke and fire.

“The fire had activated a single sprinkler head in the kitchen, extinguishing the fire,” fire chief Ian Josephson stated in a press release.

Crews confirmed the fire was out, shut off the sprinkler system, then ventilated the unit and protected the resident’s property from further damage.

There was minor fire, smoke and water damage in the adjacent apartments.

Twenty firefighters from Halls 1 and 4 responded to the fire. There were no civilian or firefighter fire-related injuries.

Emergency Support Services assisted some of the residents with temporary housing.

The cause of the fire is accidental and “related to combustible materials being placed on the stove top element.”

RELATED: Chilliwack townhouse fire caused by unattended candle



Jenna Hauck

About the Author: Jenna Hauck

I started my career at The Chilliwack Progress in 2000 as a photojournalist.
Read more