A battery-charging station may have caused a Carey Road fire Monday in Chilliwack. (Progress file)

Battery charger appears to have caused Chilliwack fire

No one was hurt and there was only minor fire and smoke damage

A battery-charger for a remote controlled car appears to have been the cause of a house fire on Carey Road on Monday before the lunch hour.

The home smoke alarm was activated, and firefighters from three fire halls got the call at about 11:30 a.m. They attended to find light smoke coming from a basement window.

“Fire crews setup an offensive attack and quickly brought the fire under control,” reported Andrew Brown, Assistant chief, training of the Chilliwack Fire Department.

Minor fire and smoke damage to the interior of the home resulted.

“This fire appears to be accidental and caused by a lithium-ion battery charging station,” he added.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

Fire officials remind the public:

• To carefully read and follow all manufactures instructions when using any electrical

devices

• Keep smoke alarms working as they provide early warning, giving people additional

escape time.

• Test your smoke alarms at least once a month. Press the test button to be sure

the alarm is working.