News

Discarded cigarette causes brush fire

Local RCMP are asking people to be very careful where they dispose of cigarette butts.

Police and fire crews were called out Sunday to a brush fire underneath the Yale Road overpass in Chilliwack. The fire was quickly doused before it could cause any damage. Investigators found a discarded cigarette to be the cause.

With the warmer spring and summer months approaching, the risk of fires being started by human carelessness, such as this, increases.” said RCMP Sgt. Gerry Hansom. “People must realize that they could be held responsible for any damage done by fires started from lit cigarettes and, depending on the circumstances, they could face charges for their actions. On this day, we were lucky that the fire was extinguished before anyone was injured or significant property damage occurred.”

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Local charity joins fight against Ebola
 
Lockdown at research station in Agassiz following Ottawa shooting
 
Making the case for smart meters
Poll finds Lower Mainland voters ready to shake up city halls
 
Masks ordered at care homes for those without flu shot
 
VIDEO: Fraser Health officials discuss Ebola preparation
White Rock politicians endorse bigger pay boost
 
Storm knocked out power in parts of southwest B.C., delayed ferries
 
Richmond Torch celebration attracts record crowd

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.