News

Chilliwack chimney fire causes minor damage

A sharp eyed resident of a Banford Road home helped prevent a chimney fire from doing more damage than it Sunday morning, Chilliwack fire officials say.

Firefighters got the call just after 8:30 a.m. When they arrived they found flames venting from the roof of a metal fireplace flue, with the fire starting to extend to the attic of the two-storey single family home.

Firefighters entered the home and quickly gained access to the attic and suppressed the fire. Fire damage is limited to the exterior roof and attic with very minor smoke damage inside the house.

The one tenant at home at the time had noticed an issue with the fireplace and placed the timely 9-1-1 call.

There were no firefighter injuries.

Cause of the fire is accidental and related to the fireplace.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

VIDEO: Witnesses describe scene at Parliament Hill; Raw footage of Ottawa shootings
 
Local charity joins fight against Ebola
 
Security stepped up in B.C. after attacks in Ottawa
Lockdown at research station in Agassiz following Ottawa shooting
 
Surrey enforcer killed on the weekend
 
Culture in schools is still a problem, says former Langley student who was bullied
VIDEO: Fraser Health officials discuss Ebola preparation
 
SCHOOL BRIEFS Kudos to hockey-playing cop
 
Police hunting for sex assault suspect

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.