Lint may be cause of dryer fire
Chilliwack fire officials are reminding homeowners to regularly check and clear lint from the exhaust line of clothes dryers.
Firefighters responded to a call of smoke coming from a home in the 42000-block Spruce Drive at about 7:30 a.m. Thursday.
No one was home at the time.
Upon arrival, firefighters saw smoke coming from a heating system exhaust on the roof of the house.
Inside, a clothes dryer on fire was discovered. Firefighters put out the flames and carried the dryer from the house.
Damage was limited to the dryer and the area around it. Light smoke damage was found on the second floor of the home.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
But Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Ullyot reminded Chilliwack residents "to regularly check the exhaust line between the dryer and the outside wall, and keep it clear of any lint or other debris that may accumulate over time."