UPDATE: Sardis house fire 'accidental', say fire officials
The cause of a house fire on Redwood Avenue in Sardis last Friday is considered accidental, but it is still under investigation by fire officials.
Firefighters arrived at the home in the 4500-block shortly after the fire call at 1:30 p.m. to find fire and smoke coming from the front of one side of the two-storey duplex.
"Fortunately, the homeowners were not at home and firefighters managed to quickly knock the fire down," Assistant Fire Chief Ian Josephson said in a news release.
He said firefighters from three fire halls kept the fire from spreading into the attic or the other side of the duplex.
"There is considerable fire and smoke damage to the west side of the duplex," he said, "with very light smoke damage to the other unit."
No firefighter injuries were reported.